Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Andreas Raab of Austria Enjoys First Impressions of CSB/SJU


Andreas Raab is a Fulbright Scholar and our new German Language Teaching Assistant -- He's the one with the Halloween face in the bottom picture!

I arrived here at CSB-SJU on the evening of Sunday, the 16th of August, and it has been a warm welcome ever since. I was picked up from the airport by Josh and Matt – two senior students – who soon managed to ease my uncertainties (the ones you most likely face in new situations). On the same evening I could move into my apartment and immediately felt at home. I have a great room and I have great roommates, so I managed to adjust quickly. On the next day Kyle, on of my roommates, provided valuable advice and walked me around the campus. I was impressed by the beauty of the campus, which stretches across a huge area of meadows, woods and lakes. It provides ideal surroundings to live, work and study and I got to know almost all ins and outs of it during the next days. There were a couple of things for me to organize – getting a campus ID and a student account, making my computer work in my room, getting on a meal plan, getting a course catalogue, etc. – but due to the helpfulness of all people I met around the campus this turned out to be easier than it seemed to be at first glance. In general I have to say that the friendly and supportive attitude of both students and faculty is truly amazing. Father Mark, my supervisor here at the German department, helped me with both words and deeds and guided me through my first days of working and studying here, which I really enjoy so far. So for now there is nothing more to say except that I am sure this is going to be a great experience and an amazing year for me here at CSB-SJU.

Meine ersten Eindrücke hier am/an der College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University
von Andreas Raab (Fulbright Stipendiat – Deutsch Sprachassistent)

Am Sonntagabend des 16. Augusts kam ich hier an der/dem CSB-SJU an und wurde sofort aufs herzlichste willkommen geheißen. Josh und Matt, zwei Studenten im Abschlussjahr, holten mich vom Flughafen ab und bald war meine Ungewissheit, was wohl die neue Situation mit sich bringen würde, wie verflogen. Am selben Abend noch konnte ich meine Wohnung beziehen und ich fühlte mich sofort wie zu Hause. Mein Zimmer ist toll, geauso wie meine fünf Mitbewohner, und so fiel es mir nicht schwer, mich hier einzuleben. Am nächsten Tag gab mir Kyle, einer meiner Mitbewohner, wertvolle Ratschläge und zeigte mir das Universitätsgelände. Der Campus beeindruckte mich gleich durch seine schöne Lage inmitten der herrlichen Natur – ideale Bedingungen also, um hier zu leben, zu arbeiten und zu studieren. In den nächsten Tagen lernte ich fast jeden Winkel der Universität kennen, galt es doch für mich einiges zu organisieren. Studentenausweis, Internetzugang, Essensplan, .etc. alles kein Problem dank der enormen Hilfsbereitschaft aller, die ich hier am Campusgelände traf. Ganz allgemein gesagt ist die Freundlichkeit und Unterstützung der Studenten und der gesamten Belegschaft schlicht großartig. Pater Mark, mein Supervisor hier am Germanistikinstitut, stand bzw. steht mir mit Rat und Tat zur Seite und half mir, mich an meinen ersten Arbeits- und Kurstagen zurecht zu finden. Bis jetzt gefällt es mir hierausgezeichnet und so gibt es im Moment nichts weiter zu sagen, als dass ich mir sicher bin, dass mir eine wertvolle Erfahrung und ein großartiges Jahr hier an der/dem CSB-SJU bevorstehen.