Tuesday, November 15, 2016

German Major Jessica Raboin Offers Current Students Internships in Germany-- Applications due October 31.

Jessica Raboin

Jessica Raboin

Name: Jessica Raboin
Year of Graduation: 2015
Major: Sociology
Minor: German Studies

 Link: Jessica Raboin Webpage

Dear CSB/SJU students!

After my high school exchange year in Germany, I had my eyes set on returning with the goal of working abroad after college graduation. During my time at CSB/SJU, I spent every summer in Germany—teaching English, volunteering, taking language classes, and ultimately, arranging and completing an independent internship at the German Federal Employment Agency. (http://www.csbsju.edu/career/students/exploringcareers/internprofiles/jessica-raboin). I had a truly transformative internship experience that solidified not only my chosen field and goal to work abroad after graduation, but also finished the internship equipped with advanced linguistic and field knowledge.

After graduating from Saint Ben’s with a degree in sociology and minor in German Studies, I spent a summer learning Turkish in Ankara with the Critical Language Scholarship. Instead of returning with the group to the U.S. at the end of the program, I got off the plane during our layover in Munich. I first taught English in Austria, but within two months, had received two job offers—one from the agency I had interned at, and one from a university. I’ve been working at the University of Augsburg as an International Scholars Advisor for a year now.  I am so happy that I put in the extra time, money, and effort during college to prepare myself for getting off that plane in Munich after graduation. I took a huge risk, and it has had huge personal and professional returns!

I want more CSB/SJU students to benefit from a similar, career-driven internship experience and also wanted to give back to the CSB/SJU community. Therefore, I worked with the Office for Education Abroad to offer summer internships in Germany that I coordinate here in Augsburg. Students must have at least four semesters of coursework completed in their major and be interested in doing an internship directly related to their field of study. This program is for the adventurous, career-driven student looking for a tailor-made internship experience here in Germany. There is still time to apply until October 31, 2016! If students have any questions about the internship program, please have them contact Annika Turner in the OEA.

Current Position/Name of Organization:
Visiting Scholars Advisor/Welcome Service for International Visiting Scholars, University of Augsburg, Germany

Please give a brief description of your position and what it involves.
I advise international visiting scholars about everything having to do with completing a research stay here in Augsburg, whether that be for a month or a couple of years. I coordinate the housing search and maintain and create relationships with landlords; plan and run events and excursions for the scholars and their families; create informational material in German and English; and manage the program statistics and evaluation.

What path did you follow to arrive at your current position?
I knew very early on into my college career that I wanted to work abroad, so I took the appropriate steps towards that goal: I arranged my own internship abroad; minored in German; and got acquainted with job application procedures, requirements, and standards in Germany in my field of interest. After I graduated, I took the leap and moved to Europe, without having any secure job prospects. I received two job offers within about a month of arriving - one from the agency where I had previously interned, and one from my current position in Augsburg.

What advice/suggestions would you have for students interested in working abroad?
Preparation is key. I spent my college years preparing for working abroad in Germany. It was (still is!) my dream and I didn't let any naysayers or doubters change my positive thinking or my long-shot plans.

However, I positioned myself well by:

Creating career-oriented experiences abroad: I absolutely suggest that students go abroad to the countries they want to possibly work in, and go with a purpose. A traditional study abroad semester just does not cut it anymore. Arrange your own internship with a company you would like to work for; conduct informational interviews while abroad; job shadow; go to networking events and conferences while abroad. Make your study abroad career-oriented, not tourism-oriented.

Mastering the language: Get your language skills on an amazing level. Even though my German is decent, I still take German classes, study vocabulary, and make mistakes. It is really cool if you can speak multiple languages, but if you cannot speak one at a professional level, the other languages won't do you any good.

What skills are most important?

First and foremost, flexibility and adaptability are crucial. Having patience and learning how to live with the unknowns are essential, because there are days when living and working abroad are simply challenging. As far as "hard" skills, I would say that computer and office skills (including computer programs in foreign languages!) are the most important. A bit of critical thinking suave and cultural/regional knowledge, including knowing the local dialect(s) doesn't hurt either.

Additionally, I believe that the Benedictine Values of listening, moderation, and stability are especially important for cultivating a holistic global life.

What are the most satisfying and rewarding parts of your position?
I really enjoy helping new scholars get adjusted to Germany. When I arrived in Germany for my high school exchange year, I didn't speak a lick of German. Everything was a challenge, every day a new adventure into the unknown. In my current position, I get to help scholars from around the world get situated and settled in Germany, oftentimes starting before they arrive. I also love that I can use much of what I learned from my coursework, student employment positions, and internships - it all comes together seamlessly in my job. Lastly, I get to work in my chosen field, abroad; ride my bike to work; and speak German every day. What's not to love?

What activities/experiences at CSB/SJU (and elsewhere) were helpful in preparing you for this position?
I knew I wanted to work in international higher education, so I used student employment positions to gain experience in education abroad, career services, residential life, etc. I also did internships, for example for the Minnesota Workforce Center. Together, these positions helped me make a mean college-graduate resume for higher education and played an important part in landing my current position. These positions were in hindsight immensely helpful with the college-to-career transition because of the various skills, time management practice, and professionalism I learned from my CSB/SJU supervisors. I do not think that the smooth transition into my job abroad - which has started my career - would've been possible without my on-campus work experiences.