Friday, January 24, 2014

Joe Wocken Tells of His First Ten Days in Lueneburg, in the North of Germany


If you’re looking for a story of a fairytale dream trip, where the path before you is always sprinkled with magical wishing dust, then this isn’t for you.

My name is Joe Wocken, and I’m a part of the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) Lueneburg, Germany program. So far, I’m a week and a half into the program and it’s nothing like what I thought it would be, and it’s vastly different from any CSB/SJU trip I’ve ever heard of. Some 50 of us program participants were given about a day of orientation, then pushed from the nest like baby birds. We have basic levels of support from the staff here, but for the most part, we are on our own. With this kind of independence, it’s been up to me to meet people, find my way around, and settle in to a whole different lifestyle. So far, it’s been extremely rewarding!

Here, I have to work to be successful. I’ve met Germans, Russians, Spaniards, Peruvians, Brazilians, Americans, and Texans. I’m not here to be sheltered; I’m here to live life.