Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Megan Boettcher to Work and Study in Germany Starting End of May

  I will depart for my Swiss adventure on Sunday, May 20 and will arrive in Zürich, Switzerland on Monday, May 21. That is when my immersion into the German-speaking culture will begin. Luckily, two of the families have young girls which may help ease me into mainly speaking German, since they are somewhat learning to speak as well and are used to repeating themselves. It will also greatly challenge me because they probably only speak German and that is the only way I will be able to communicate with them. Plus, one of the girls is 7 and can already speak in full sentences, which will propose a major challenge for me, but I am up for whatever I need to do in order to further learn the German language.
    As for continuing my schooling in Germany, I know that it will be a great challenge but I am willing to take it on and do my best to study in my second language. I hope to be admitted into an art school and explore subject matter that may be better accepted in the European culture. Even though I want to challenge myself and push my German-speaking boundaries, I realize that the language barrier may propose some problems and I am willing to take longer to complete my education than I originally would have in the United States, if necessary. I truly hope this ideal of going to college in Germany works out so I can broaden my horizons and spend the next years of my life abroad!