Friday, November 7, 2008

Trevor Chambers Starts Internship in Germany

A little over three years ago I entered St. John’s University as a chemistry major with an absolute certainty of becoming a doctor. Well folks the saying is true: the only things certain in life are death and taxes. Here I am, 22 years old in my senior year, and about to embark on the journey and opportunity of a lifetime. In mid September I accepted a job in Stuttgart, Germany and will start working for Allianz Life, an international insurance company, on the 1st of August, 2008.

Ever since studying abroad in Salzburg, Austria in the fall of 2006, I absolutely fell in love with Europe and the German/Austrian culture. I feel that so many aspects of their cultures fit very well with my life and what I value and believe. After returning to the USA in December of 2008, I feel that a part of me didn’t come back and I’m really excited to go back over and continue what started and ended so abruptly.


As a management and communication double major, many people ask me why Germany, especially when I’m not a German major or minor. My answer to that is the fact that culture and language have both always intrigued me and I feel that an international experience will greatly set me ahead of everyone else when/if I return to the USA. So much of the world is experiencing the globalization at hand, and business is certainly a large part of that. I want to be able to take on the responsibility of helping two cultures, the American and German culture, benefit from one another and prosper economically due to each other’s strengths. I know that it will be challenging, but I embrace the challenge with excitement and a determination to succeed.


Once I get to Germany, part of my stipulation in accepting the job was that they put me through extensive German language classes. I have had three semesters of German thus far and really want to become fluent in the language. I also have the amazing opportunity of getting to travel all over Europe with my job while implementing and monitoring the proper use of our life insurance products (the implementation of the products is in English and I will ensure that proper English is being used).


I would highly suggest that anyone who has the opportunity to study abroad, work abroad, or volunteer abroad do so. It is an amazing and life-changing opportunity that you can benefit from in so many ways. You do not need to be a major, a minor, or really even speak the language to go. Search online, look for people who know people, do anything you can! If you have a passion like I do, do not let any roadblock stand in your way!


-Trevor A. Chambers